Get Ready for World Oceans Day!
On June 8th 2014, people around the globe will be celebrating this year’s World Oceans Day – this year the theme is “Together we have the power to protect the ocean.”
Hundreds of events are planned to help people get involved in solutions for a healthy ocean and society – by supporting clean energy choices, trash-free coasts and beaches, sustainable seafood, and more.
“In addition to events in dozens of countries, we invite everyone to take ocean conservation personally by making a commitment and then sharing a selfie for the sea,” said World Oceans Day coordinator, Alyssa Isakower. “We can each do something to help protect our ocean!”
Here’s how you can get involved:
Take action: A small action on your part multiplied by thousands around the world can contribute to a significant collective impact. Here are our top three:
Selfie for the sea: Show the world that you are part of the growing movement of people taking personal action for our ocean – take a selfie showing how you’re helping the ocean or make a promise, and post with #WorldOceansDay! Learn more: http://WorldOceansDay.org/promise.
Join in with an event near you: Get out and celebrate! The number of events keeps increases increasing, with celebrations around the world, at aquariums, zoos, museums, youth groups, businesses, schools, even online.
Liverpool, UK: This student-run weekend of fun and games is hosted by University of Liverpool and The Liverpool World Museum. There’s going to be a whole host of activities and arts and crafts for children and adults: face paints, mermaid puppet shows, and representatives from several marine charities and organizations to educate on marine conservation issues.
Other things you can do:
- Purchase the UK’s first washing up liquid bottle made from ocean plastic – courtesy of Ecover
- Enter the First Annual World Oceans Day Photo Contest, which is accepting submissions now. Winners will have their photos displayed at the United Nations in New York City http://worldoceansday.org/photocontest
- Aquariums, zoos, and museums around the world are reaching out to kids to inspire them with ocean fun through Dr. Seuss and Octonauts themed celebrations
- Wear the message and help support World Oceans Day by purchasing an ocean-friendly t-shirt
- Stay tuned for a World Oceans Day exclusive song brought to you by the activist emcee, AWKWORD, and internationally renowned hip-hop producer, C-Lance!
Find out more at www.WorldOceansDay.org
About The Ocean Project
The Ocean Project inspires action to protect our ocean. They advance ocean and climate conservation in partnership with their growing global network of 2,000 aquariums, zoos, science museums, and other organizations. Since 2002, The Ocean Project has coordinated World Oceans Day. More can be found at: www.TheOceanProject.org. The Ocean Project is a fiscally sponsored project of The Ocean foundation.